Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Recent Readings for SDSU-Imperial Valley, UC Davis and Humboldt State Students

Last week I had the opportunity to speak to university students at Humboldt University and U.C. Davis.  At H.U. I spoke with Professor and Poet, Barbara Brinson Curiel's Chicana and Chicano Studies class and read at the university's library for a great audience.  The students were brilliant and inspiring.  Many thanks to all who attended.  I must also note that Barbara Brinson Curiel is the winner of the 2012 Philip Levine Prize in Poetry, and her collection Mexican Jenny and Other Poems will be out SOON from Anhinga Press.  I'm so excited for her and the collection!

Photos: Barbara Brinson Curiel


On Monday I Skyped with artist, novelist and Professor, Maceo Montoya's Chicana and Chicano Studies class about The Yearning Feed.  The conversation was enlivening, and I am grateful for the opportunity to have engaged with these students.  I hope the exchange was as enjoyable for them as it was for me.  

In both classes, I met students from the Imperial Valley.  Really nice.

And speaking of the Imperial Valley, in November I read at SDSU-IV in Calexico.  I visited Professor Bret Kofford's California History class.  The students rocked and asked several thought-provoking questions. Later that evening I read at the campus' art gallery to an audience that consisted of friends, family, students, and others from the community.  The day was beautiful and it was great to see so many faces I recognized.  



No comments: