Monday, June 10, 2013

La Nueva Canción


I'm a bit late on this one, but I finally watched Violeta se fue a los cielos last night with a couple of friends, and I was completely torn, dizzied, psychically disoriented, but enamored with Parra's work all over again.  The film is not a chronological study of Parra's life but a complex thread that moves in all directions, summoning memory, myth, heartbreak and fisted love all at once.  For me, her music's power is the ocean depth of her lyrics, her incredible phrasing, and her commitment to activism, although her politics were not touched much at all in the film.  Many will disagree, undoubtedly, but this is what I observed.  

Haunting.  Beautiful.  Necessary.

I want to watch Violeta again before it drifts away toward another place.


from Violeta se fue a los cielos












No comments: