Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Akinmusire Rocked It



Straight from Stockholm, Ambrose Akinmusire and his group played an amazing show even while exhausted from the long trip back to the States. Apparently, this show was a tune-up for a performance that will take place on June 11th at the Hollywood Bowl. The night began with his tune "Confessions to My Unborn Daughter," the first track off his album When the Heart Emerges Glistening. As previously mentioned, the set kicked ass, and there were several moments when I couldn't keep myself in my seat. The half-valve work he incorporated throughout was exquisite!

What was refreshing and pure to see was how much fun the band was having on stage. These musicians were actually smiling. Of course, this band has been playing together for some time as far as I know. Saxophonist, Walter Smith III, also struck me thoughout the evening, with his big, husky sound.

All in all, the performance at the 200-seat Athenaeum Jazz at the Studio was impressive, and I must say it was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

*Here's an older article on Akinmusire, his band, and his new album.

No comments: