Friday, April 1, 2011

Parrot in the Oven by Victor Martinez

I just finished rereading Parrot in the Oven over the last couple of days and I am still floored by the control and restraint in the writing, the exquisite metaphors, and of course, the resilient narrator. The scene when Manny's father picks up Magda and places her in the bathtub still punches me in the gut. (Don't want to ruin so I'll stop here) It's stunning! Over the years, several of my high school students have read this book and loved it, many recommending it to friends. "Lopez, I liked it when..." "Lopez, that sucked when Manny..." "Lopez, I gave it to my little sister to read." Unfortunately, Mr. Martinez recently passed. To read about Victor Martinez's passing, read here. And here. What a loss, but he certainly left something beautiful behind. Read this book if you haven't already. And if you have read it, read it again.

No comments: