Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hope to catch Olga Garcia Echeverria today at UCSD as part of their New Writing Series. Hope she reads "Conversation Between Two Dead Bilingual Roaches."

************************************************************************************** from I ASKED by James Schuyler
I want to take my dishes to the stream and wash them.
I will wear my overcoat and a green silk square and gloves.
I will sing songs we learned at school and my dishes will float and sing among rocks to become houses for trout. I will come home.
It will be as before, for who wishes the love
in his heart to die lives in terror of its death.

from the collection Other Flowers: Uncollected Poems

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your great work!! We were in IVC during the same years, we even had some classes together (astronomy w/ RIP Bernardy, ...) and I came upon your work by a comment of one of my former students in CHS. It was easy to find some of your work with google. I just ordered your book of peoms and looking forward to reading it. Wow, you were so quiet back then and I am very glad that you came out of your shell. PS: Looking forward to what comes next. Now I can shay I went to school with someone famous, LOL.
Cecy Garcia

Manuel Paul Lopez said...

Hi Cecy, thanks for dropping in.

About the shell: "I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams."