Friday, April 9, 2010

This spring break has been an interesting one to say the least. My parents, brother, his fiance, sis., brother-in-law battled that 7.2 earthquake, rode it, fought back. I wasn't there, but I can only imagine the experience. I still remember the '79 earthquake. I was in my backyard with Willie Joe and Susie. I think we were playing marbles. Anyway, my swingset looked like it was walking toward us. "Ma! Ma!" I screamed as I tried to get into the house. And that shit was only a 6. something. Everyone I speak to who experienced the recent earthquake has the same glazed look, the return, a rattling, noisy dishwasher in the head. My parents haven't had a good night's sleep in nearly a week.

When it struck, my family was in the backyard, everyone except for my mother who was upstairs in her bedroom. In the midst of all this mess, my younger brother reacted and ran his ass into a possessed house. Dishes flying, glasses breaking, the dude ran in. Like I say, you either got it, or you don't.

Fortunately, my family is alive and well. For those who have been impacted by this in ways that one could only imagine, I can only send my prayers of prayers.

1 comment:

b. said...

Glad your family is okay.

Did you hear? Rae Armantrout won the Pulitzer for poetry this year!