Sunday, November 15, 2009

Artemio Rodriguez Visits San Diego

I recently had the opportunity to meet Artemio Rodriguez at his show's gallery openning here in San Diego. He's a very nice guy and entertained some of my questions and signed his name and drew a cool picture on my copy of the collaboration he did with poet, Juan Felipe Herrera.



My wife and I really enjoy(ed) his work. It was sort of a retrospective spanning approx. fifteen years. As usual, the work was intense and his ability to incorporate interesting detail made several of his prints quite gripping.

I wanted to attend his talk today at the San Diego Musuem of Art but was unable to do so. I don't feel too badly though because Thursday night was pretty magical. He even showed me his new book that is a beautifully produced leather-bound collection of fifty original prints that accompany a wonderful story in Spanish. Each collection was handmade and produced at La Mano Press ,now in Michoacan. Amazing, amazing work!

Below is a shirt I bought some time ago. My sister always complains that it's too intense and causes her anxiety. What do you think?



















2 comments:

Meher said...

We heard his talk at the San Diego Museum and it was very good. His work is amazing - where are those books available. We went to the gallery exhibiting his work right after the talk but it was closed - will try again tomorrow.

Manuel Paul Lopez said...

Cool! His Book Lotería Cards and Fortune Poems was published by City Lights a few years ago. I'm sure you can order this title fairly easily if it can't be found in your local, indie bookstore.

The other one, the new one I mentioned was published by La Mano Press. It's a limited edition and very expensive. I wish I could tell you its title but I can't remember it. Sorry.

Please let me know what you think of the work at the gallery, which I didn't name in my post but is called Noel-Baza Fine Art.