Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ana Castillo at Calacalandia

Ana Castillo was just in town, more specifically, last Thursday at Smith Recital Hall at San Diego State University. She read from her new novel, The Guardians, and spoke at length about topics that ranged from border politics to her creative process. She also led a workshop on the memoir at SDSU on Saturday.

Friday night was beautiful, though. My wife and I attended a small gathering of wonderful people at the home of Calaca Press owners, Brent and Consuelo (Chelo) Beltrán. Ana Castillo was the guest of honor, and in my humble opinion, so were the foods, drinks and sounds of Son Sin Fronteras, better captured here at Ana Castillo's blog. I bought a couple of books and had them signed, one for my sis, Janina, and the other for a student, who will hopefully dig "El chicle" like I first enjoyed it.

No comments: