Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Poetry of the Sneeze: Thomas Merton and Nicanor Parra


* * *
I just read a tender portrait of Bukowski's fateful meeting with his hero, John Fante, in Portions from a Wine-Stained Notebook. Of course, Bukowski disguises this literary giant in his piece by using one of his signature acts of deception, his use of the alias, where John Fante becomes John Bante! My favorite, though, has always been Allen Binsberg. Oh, and how can one forget Lawrence Berlingetti. It's been some time since I last purchased some Bukowski y los Bukis. Most of it is his typical posturing, with plenty of shine.

* * *
I'm currently waiting patiently for certain books to be released, one of which is Rebecca Schumejda's Falling Forward. Here's a dynamite poem that will be included, I believe, in her new book.

2 comments:

Oscar Bermeo said...

Thanks for the Merton/Parra link. I just found out about Merton and his poetics from my brother-in-law. Great stuff!

anisa said...

oh, I love Bukowski and Fante. I know about all that Buk posturing you mention but go in for it anyway because of all the "shine" - Haven't checked out Portions from a Wine-Stained Notebook, though.

Also, enjoyed the Nina Simone. Thanks for that!