Saturday, December 6, 2008

Fight Night

"Woke up, got out of bed, drove a comb across my head(?)..." and now I am writing this. Mahler's blasting in the Ipod-- "Sympony No. 5!" I'll be assembling poem packages to send to editors soon. They will swarm the continental U.S. like bats in the night, and most likely come back to me like dejected, little pajaritos. But that's ok, though. It's the empty mailbox that sux. (slightly paraphrasing bukowski)

Stopped by my favorite newstand in Hillcrest (S.D.) last night and picked up new ZYZZYVA. It's gorgeous! I love this newstand because it's always stocked with a decent variety of lit. mags. Scanning the shelves, however, I realized how much I really miss Long Shot. Man, those issues used to pop. It's a shame that it fell. If it's still in existence, someone please wake me from this nightmare.

I received Dear Jack by Scott Inguito with an intro by Craig Santos Perez yesterday as well (thanks F.A.). The cover art looks great, and I love Inguito's self portrait. I can't wait to read it!

Also in Hillcrest, I picked up Tomaz Salamun's A Ballad For Metka Krasovec and John Yau's My Heart is that Eternal Rose Tattoo. I was really there for some more David Lee books, but hey, you know how it goes.

On our way to our favorite restaurant in Hillcrest, called Mama Testa (great fuckin' name-eh?), my wife and I were stopped during our walk by a couple of hair stylist standing outside of their salon. They offered us two discount coupons for a total hair makeover. "Recessionary tactics," homeboy told us. Wow, I thought, when the stylist has been moved to drop his prices after refusing to shear my dome for no less than 40 bucks in the past, must mean some serious shit in Denmark!

Tonight is the night. De La Hoya vs Manny Pacquiao. Never thought I'd see this one. New possible titles for the dynamic writing of Kevin Gonzalez: The Night Oscar De La Hoya KO'd Manny Pacquiao, or, The Night Manny Pacquiao KO'd Oscar De La Hoya. Which should it be? A ver, no?

1 comment:

b. said...

Love Mahler's 5th.