Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Stuff

Carlos Monsiváis and his cat.


* * *
Just returned from Portland. Saw Wolf Parade at the Crystal Ballroom. Hundreds there jumping to the music on a 4th floor with suspension. "Disconcerting" is how someone put it.
After locating a big volume of Karl Shapiro at Powells, I trotted toward the cash register, when lo and behold, the fire alarm went off and the whole place had to be evacuated. I ended up leaving the book there. Luckily, though, it was a false alarm.
Enjoyed some great punk rock at the Shanghai Tunnel. And although I don't have much of a sweet tooth, we enjoyed a doughnut sprinkled with Captain Crunch at Voodoo Doughnuts.
Caught one young lady reading John Ashbery at a coffee shop and some guy indulging himself in Schopenhauer at another. Great ways to start the day, I suppose. Funny to see someone reading A.S., since I'm currently reading his Parega und Paralipomena.
* * *
The Batwings and the Vaginals play the Epicentre tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be there.
* * *
The Silver Jews has been on heavy rotation lately. "Suffering Jukebox" is my favorite song at the moment. Homeboy can write!

No comments: