Monday, April 7, 2008

In the Grove

My wife and I will be off to Fresno (via Amtrak) this Thursday to attend the In the Grove reading dedicated to Andres Montoya. Although a bit nervous, I'm excited. Montoya's work has meant a lot to me over the years. I've gone through three copies of his Iceworker. The first two fell apart from heavy usage and a relentless back Levi's pocket. The third copy, with most of its pages separated from the spine, but with the magic still intact, I gave to a young man who offered me his own poem in return when I read at a youth facility last September. I bought a fourth copy last month, suggesting it to a current student of fifteen or so, who seems to be taking to it as far as I can tell (he's carrying it in his back pocket, too).

I can't wait to listen to all of the wonderful and talented writers and artists who will be participating in this event, and I can't wait to see Montoya's previously unpublished poem "Páketelas" in print. A ver. Spring is here.

* * *
New issue of Pistola is up and in your face. Check it out.

5 comments:

Sheryl said...

Have fun Manuel! I wish I could've made it.

Manuel Paul Lopez said...

Thanks, Sheryl. It should be fun.

javier said...

I'll be there. Look forward to meeting you.

P. Guerra Sanchez said...

So how was it. I had heard of the event and I wish I would have been in the country to attend. I've been a Montoya fan ever since you turned me on to him.. I'm glad you were able to attend and participate. I'd like to get a copy of In the Grove, but I doubt it is available in Seoul......Arrato hermano

Manuel Paul Lopez said...

Sanchez, email a homeboy!