Sunday, January 6, 2008

New Year

Just returned from Vancouver. Such a beautiful city, but shhh, very quiet over there, relatively speaking that is. Even when my wife and I stepped off the beaten trail and found ourselves parting the clavicles and femurs of the addicted on east Hastings, there wasn't much sound. People passing little plastic pouches to one another, some talking to themselves, other selling their goods, but all with the quietude of a monk. I'm exaggerating, of course, but this is how it seemed. Sad to see people sleeping on sidewalks beneath a mound of dirty blankets in that weather. Any weather, for that matter. What gives?

The new year was kinder to us: jazz, Italian food, and beverages. Secretly prayed to the god of "clear paths" that the drunken masses on Granville would make it home safely. Very crowded. Very fun. Stanley Park was nice, the aquarium, one of the best I've seen. I love jellyfish. Spent some time at the Vancouver Art Gallery and saw Georgia O'keefe's work, along with a few by Kurt Schwitters, Raushenberg, Kline and others, including one by Goya.

I think my favorite O'Keeffe would have to be "Pelvis with the Distance."

I guess it has always fulfilled my own interests in anatomy. I grew up fascinated by the illustrations and descriptions in Gray's Anatomy.

It cracked me up to read about the Freudians going crazy with her work, and how much she detested the fact. Sometimes a cigar's just a cigar, kid. And photos of her, at least in my opinion, how photogenic O'Keeffe was. Her famous husband's photos of her were interestingly beautiful.

Thought about heading for Whistler, but I'm not into snow sports. Besides, how much is it for a lift ticket? Let alone the costume one must assume in order to participate.

Overall, the trip was great. Took a few books and a notebook to occupy some of the spare moments alone. But mostly it was time spent exploring the city with my wife.

2 comments:

Van said...

does it snow in vancouver? i remember the summer drive up there from sf was the longest most isolatingly beautiful thing.

took a train up the montreal this year to ring in the new and, man, the views from the train! the snow coating the world in such breathtaking designs!

if i could find a good teaching gig anywhere up there, east or west, i'd sign up as a canuck in a breath! you ever think of that?

Happy New Year!

Manuel Paul Lopez said...

There was snow,
and my heart surrendered to all that snow.

Happy new year!