Wednesday, July 11, 2007

New Website and New Crib

I just received information about Maceo Montoya's new website. He's an exceptional artist who has included several of his works to check out at his new site. Do yourself a favor and look him up.

***

My wife and I just decided to move to San Diego. It's been nearly ten years since I've lived there. We're trading the desert for the ocean, at least for a while. To be honest, I can't stand the beach sun. It's everywhere, a person can't find a shadow. The sun creeps up your pant leg and burns your kneecap. And that dreadful sand--eating at the beach is the worse. No, no, no, we'll be somewhere in University Heights or North Park. Hopefully this will all be taken care of tomorrow.

I'm going to miss El Centro--of course, we'll be visiting frequently. I'll especially miss Mexicali. I'm going to miss my family. My friends. My old coworkers. My students. My students. My favorite restaurants like La Fonda and Mandolino's. My mailbox, even though it brings me bills and rejections but I love it just the same. My favorite jogging route where the same owl greets me each day at the exact same spot on the ditch bank. My favorite convenient store where the same cashier greets me each Friday at the exact same counter where I set my tall cans...

But will I miss the heat?

T. Berrigan wrote a beautiful poem called "Farewell Address" where he wrote goodbyes to the Buffalo he knew after staying there for some time. It's so pure. And the rhyme thang he's got going on in it is cool, too.

Anyway, I have to go. I'll drop by later.

5 comments:

EurisaGrinkov said...

Wow, good luck with that.

Christina said...

Heartbroken for the young minds you will not have a chance to widen in our little valley.
Heartbroken for the missed opportunity to work and learn from you.
But grateful for the chance to have had our paths cross.
Inspired by your courage to seek new adventures that will fuel your writing.
Remember us all...
And keep writing...
Take Care Always...

Anonymous said...

Yups I agree with Eurisagrinkov who I believe to be someone else. well yes I hope it goes well. are you going to be teaching there if so where

Manuel Paul Lopez said...

Thanks so much for the kind words, Christina and Eurisangrinkov Gomez.

I'll be teaching humanities this coming year, which should be fun.

He Who Hails To The Thief said...

hey mr lopez, it is me, Isaac. I am suprised that you are going to leave this 120 degree valley for the weather of san diego. How have you been? It seems like graduation was ages ago, but I still remember your morning english class. Where are you going to teach? Any book developments? Well do not be an electronic stranger. later- Isaac